At Anchor Foster Care we provide top quality comprehensive training free of charge to our foster carers and carers in assessment.
Alongside our mandatory training foster carers have access to a range of specialist training.
Carried out by experienced professionals, our courses cover the areas essential to preparing carers for the job.
Benefits of foster carer training with Anchor include:
• Free and plentiful lunches with refreshments
• Free parking at most training venues
• Certificates to all foster carers who attend and successfully complete any assessment requirements, if applicable.
• A choice of five UK training locations
• Online training
• Flexible booking arrangements
• Short but impactful training sessions
Our training gives foster carers the ability to become highly skilled and competent professionals, better prepared for the challenges of fostering.
Training forms part of three groups; mandatory training, core training, and specialist training available on request.
Mandatory Foster Carer Training
• Paediatric First Aid
• Safe Care – Working with Children who have been abused including Child Protection and Safeguarding
• Managing Aggressive/Challenging Behaviour – De-escalation
• Health, Hygiene and Communicable Diseases
• Promoting Education
• Internet Safety – Social Media
Core Foster Carer Training
• Therapeutic Crisis Intervention for Families (TCIF)
• Looking after Children with Complex Health Needs
• Transitions - including Moving to Adoption, Returning to Birth Family or Moving to Independence
• Valuing Diversity
• Child Protection – Level 2
• Sexual Exploitation and Trafficking
• Substance Misuse (Drugs Awareness)
• Promoting Family Contact
We aim to train all foster carers in Therapeutic Crisis Intervention for Families (TCIF), so carers are better prepared and fully supported in handling challenging behaviour. We also offer other specialist foster carer training.
Specialist Foster Carer Training
• Transgender Training
• FGM (Female Genital Mutilation) Training
• Cultural Awareness
• Domestic Violence and the Impact on Children
• ADHD and Autism
• Missing from Care Protocol
• Parent and Child Fostering
Most courses are of short duration, just three hours normally. They are held between 10 am and 2 pm, times proved to enable foster carers to take part easily. Some training, like our First Aid Training, is usually a two-day course as it is essential that foster carers are trained to a high degree.
Our foster carer training takes place across five UK locations:
Kent - 69 Maidstone Road, Chatham, Kent ME4 6DP
South London - Airport House, Purley Way, Croydon CR0 0XZ
North of London - Parish Office, Great Linford House, Great Linford Local Centre, Milton Keynes MK14 5HA
East Sussex - Robsack Children's Centre, Bodiam Drive, St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex TN38 9TW
East Midlands - 44D Borough Street, Castle Donington, Derby DE74 2LB
Don’t forget most of our foster carer training can also be completed online. Once approved, online training information is provided to foster carers by our Supervising Social Workers for a completely free yet flexible experience.